The Energy, Environment and Climate Change Department (ONEC) is in charge of managing the Bank Group energy operations in Regional Member Countries (RMCs). It helps address climate change and environmental issues by incorporating them into Bank Group supported operations and giving them the visibility required. ONEC Department includes two energy divisions and a third division which is responsible for climate change and environment issues. The main objective of the Eastern and Southern Africa Energy Division (ONEC.2) is to build on the Bank’s sector skills and strengthen its capacity to become the leader in strategy, development, financing and implementation of energy projects and programs in Eastern and Southern Africa.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the general direction of the Bank’s Regional Director of the Eastern Africa Resource Center (EARC) and Manager for Eastern and Southern Africa Energy Sector (ONEC.2), the incumbent, posted at the EARC in Nairobi, Kenya, will support the Bank’s power sector operations in the region and provide technical support related operational policies, procedures and guidelines. Specific Duties and Responsibilities will include:
Policies, strategies, and frameworks
- Coordinate and contribute to the preparation of policies and strategies for Bank Group intervention in energy sector in the region ;
- Coordinate and contribute to country and regional strategy papers; undertake relevant studies and analyses for the region.
- Coordinate and provide expert advice on issues related to energy sector development including advice to the Regional Director and the Division Manager for promoting policies conducive to strong growth/development of the energy sector as well as other areas of activity in the region (creation of an enabling environment for private sector investments in energy projects, corporate governance related to the region);
- Undertake activities for energy projects in the region related to the project cycle including (identification, preparation, appraisal, negotiations, supervision and preparation of Project Completion Reports (PCRs) and ex-post reviews of Bank operations focusing on the energy sector in the region, involving the region governments, other development partners and concerned parties or partners in the region;
- Oversee and carry out active and effective management of the assigned portfolio in the region, including Sector Policy-Based Operations and Institutional Support Projects;
- Provide the required technical skills to design national and multinational projects that respond to the needs of the region and Regional Economic Communities (RECs) based on their priorities and selectivity;
- Monitor Energy sector development and activities in these sectors across the region;
- Develop sector strategies and operation plan for the region.
- Coordinate and participate in the preparation of Energy sector assessments and other upstream analytical and diagnostic work to inform Country Strategy Papers (CSPs) in the region; provide support to countries in the region and the regional departments on policy dialogue with regional countries relating to the Energy sector and related issues in the region; and ensure provision of quality advisory service to regional countries ;
- Provide back-up to country offices in the region to ensure provision of quality advisory service to countries in the region;
- Lead and coordinate the preparation of policy statements, papers, briefs and various reports on the Energy sector issues and other areas relevant to the Energy, Environment & Climate Change Department for the region;
- Represent the Bank in national and regional partnerships, networks, conferences, workshops, and training seminars on issues related to Energy sector development and related issues in the region;
- Undertake any other task as the Regional Director and Manager ONEC.2 may assign.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Electromechanical or Electrical Engineering;
- A minimum of six (6) years relevant professional experience in planning, design, construction, supervision and maintenance of energy infrastructure;
- Proven knowledge power utilities operation;
- Experience in the Banks operation in power sector;
- Experience working with other MDBs and bilateral financers in the power sector;
- Full understanding of the principles of project cycle and project implementation;
- Proven ability to interact competently with power utilities and related ministries and donor agencies on issues relating to aid coordination, as well as with the private sector;
- Proven ability to lead the power projects in the region including power interconnection projects;
- Proven ability to build and lead a team of professional staff and utilize talent and expertise of team members in a productive way;
- Proven experience in appraising and supervising projects financed by the Bank ;
- Good listener with demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas as well as make effective and timely decisions;
- Capacity to initiate and manage innovations and change;
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, MS Projects);
- Competence in (or ability/willingness to become quickly familiar with) the use of various tools available and applied by the Bank such as SAP;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Knowledge of French is an added advantage.