BP: Senior Technical Support Engineer – Marine
To provide technical support for the development, testing and deployment of products for the Marine business and to provide technical support for Marine products globally.
Flexible worklocation: Candidate is located in Pangbourne (UK) or Belgium or Netherlands (depends on candidate)
- Play key role in managing field testing activities – in the field on ships and at engine builder sites. Liaising with account managers, customers and supply chain to facilitate lubricant field testing.
- Undertake all aspects of detailed engine inspections and subsequent comprehensive reporting and supporting documentation.
- Contribution to the centre of expertise on technical issues relevant to application of marine and large engine lubricants.
- Monitor technology trends, legislation, OEM trends, industry developments and field service incidents. Use these insights to upgrade product formulations and the associated claims & demos.
- Ensure implementation of best practice in test methodologies. Identify and create new test methodologies as required.
- Provision of technical support to sales and frontline teams, including provision of technical/sales tools and product information.
- Coaching and working closely with the global technical services field staff and sales staff to raise the customer perception of Castrol marine and large engine lubricants.
- Identify opportunities for product optimisation and promote these within the OD&I system.
- Manage a portfolio of development/investigation projects through effective planning, execution and documenting test programmes so that key milestones are delivered on time and on budget.
Provide technical leadership by coaching and directing the work of less experienced colleagues.
A professional engineering qualification leading to Chartered Engineer or Chartered Marine Engineer status preferred. Candidates with DTI/MCA First Class Certificates of Competency or equivalent, and/or a good Degree or equivalent in Chemistry, Engineering or related technical discipline.
Essential experience and job requirements
Demonstrated track record in delivering projects focused on product development, engineering and/or research.
Proven experience of fuel or lubricant development, engineering development and/or product research and technology.
Evidence of designing novel work programmes.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
The role is based at one of the FPT Technology Centres in the US, Europe or Asia and requires extensive interaction with colleagues in other countries particularly those where products are deployed.
Due to the global nature of the business, the Senior Technical Support Engineer is required to interact with and influence a geographically dispersed and culturally diverse stakeholder group.
Balancing the request for differentiated products with the formulation cost and the proliferation of formulation portfolio.
The role will require the Engineer to solve complex problems whilst delivering to exacting timelines and budgets.
Regular engine inspections on vessels in regional ports will be required, often at short notice and during unsocial hours.
The role is global with products developed for global markets. The products typically have a 3 to 5 year development cycle therefore multi-year planning is required. These plans will also influence the planning of supporting operational test vessels and maintenance teams, with provision over a similar time period.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
Broad technical understanding gained in either the marine or similar heavy industry, and ideally with experience in the field of marine lubricants.
Demonstrated experience in Fuels, Lubricants, Additives or Automotive/Manufacturing industries.
Yes – Domestic (In country) only
Yes – up to 25%
Is this a part time position?