BBC Africa needs Broadcast Journalist (video).
The BBC World Service is embarking on an exciting journey with unprecedented investment in digital content for Africa and your role will be critical to us in meeting our ambitions.
At the BBC, we believe our mission is to inform, educate and connect the audiences from Africa to the rest of the world. BBC Igbo digital service aims to deliver our journalism in a lively and engaging fashion, with a focus on interactivity and the promotion of content on social media and across all platforms. As one of our video journalist youll have a crucial role in leading our engagement with the audience. By joining BBC Igbo, youll be a part of the new team including Yoruba and PIdgin, will serve our audiences in Nigeria and West Africa. They will be based in Lagos, working alongside our operation in Abuja from where the BBC currently produces its Hausa service output. There is a strong emphasis on reaching and connecting with young audiences.
- Work with other members of the Igbo and Nigeria team, and the wider BBC Africa newsroom, to identify and produce creative and innovative video news content.
- To originate innovative formats for BBC Igbo social media posts best suited for each social network, including Facebook and Instagram and optimize these formats using social analytics and then champion the use of successful formats across the team.
- Re-version BBC material with a mobile audience in mind.
- To create multimedia content for publication on social media and the BBC Igbo mobile audiences, as appropriate and to the required specification whilst maintaining professional journalistic standards of accuracy, impartiality and adhering to the BBC’s Editorial guidelines.
- Research, storyboard and produce stories.
- Create headlines and video teasers to promote our stories and reach to as wide an audience as possible.
- To show visual creativity in the use of pictures and graphics to illustrate and explain fast-moving events and complex stories.
The Ideal Candidate
- A full command and up to date knowledge of written and spoken Igbo
- Experience of video production, editing and storytelling.
- Experience of using video editing software similar to Q–edit or FCPX.
- In depth understanding of digital and social platforms – the BBCs and others – and the different ways audiences are consuming news in Africa
- A strong journalistic track record with knowledge of Africa and African affairs.
- Experience in social–first content production and audience engagement.
- Wide and up to date familiarity with the area/s to which the Service broadcasts including Africa , Nigeria and West African affairs and an in-depth understanding of the area/s history, politics, social issues and culture as well as the changing needs of the audience. An extensive knowledge of the media situation in the target area and the way it is developing.
- Must be able to demonstrate sense of visual awareness as well as technical aptitude.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety policies and practices.
Deadline: 15 November, 2017