The Communication and External Relations Department (CERD) assists the Boards of Directors, Management and staff in the definition and implementation of the Bank’s overall communication policies, strategies and programmes intended to facilitate the institution’s ability to mobilize the support of its shareholders and various partners and stakeholders for the Bank Group operations. It also disseminates the Bank’s events and institutional messages and provides services destined to ensure public access and knowledge about its activities. It is responsible for providing a better understanding and feedback about the internal and external perceptions of the institution.
The Communication Specialist (President’s Speechwriter/Editor) will take the lead in producing speeches that articulate the vision and ideas of a President who maintains a very active internal and international speaking schedule. In addition to Board members and staff of the Bank, major audiences include Bank Governors, National Government Leaders, Public and Private Sector officials, the international donors’ community, diplomatic and professional bodies, civil society organizations, and academic leaders. The President’s Speech Writer’s responsibilities also include drafting, editing and revising official documents that extend the President’s message.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Chief of Staff & Director of Cabinet of the President, the Communication Specialist (President’s Speechwriter/Editor) is responsible for the following duties:
1. Setting medium and long-term goals to accomplish communication goals for the President’s office, both with senior management of the Bank, and the wider world; and providing input in the preparation of budgets to effectively achieve these goals;
2. Writing, editing and proofreading speeches and statements for the President; gathering and analysing facts, statements and all communications to and from the President; preparing and /or reviewing official statements for the Office of the President;
3. Proactively identifying issues and targeting audiences for which the President should make public statements inside and outside the Bank;
4. Working closely with the Bank’s language Services unit to ensure good quality statements and translated documents;
5. Assembling, reviewing and summarizing key messages in various publications, including policy reports, newspapers, magazine articles, the annual report, and other periodicals ;
6. Contributing through periodic written reports to the President’s office follow up of policy aspects and commitments made through speeches and statements, in line with the President’s mandate;
7. Coordinating and attending to requests to the Office of the President for information and materials by the different interest groups within the Bank, external groups and organizations.
8. Determining, in collaboration with the Bank’s communication team, appropriate news/communication’s content, design and packaging for different audiences within and outside the Bank;
9. Working closely with the Bank’s communications team as liaison for all communication and written media assignments related to the President.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. At least a Master’s degree or equivalent in Communication , Languages and Linguistics, International Relations or related fields;
2. A minimum of 7 years of experience in a similar position;
3. Strong record of writing and communication experience in English. Working knowledge of French is an advantage;
4. Excellent interpersonal skills;
5. Experience in a similar environment (International Financial Institution or Multilateral Development Bank);
6. Strong qualifications and hands-on experience in writing, research, print media, and academia; outstanding record of publications and of high quality and varied written communication pieces; ability to work fast and produce quality results;
7. Integrity, independence, and ability to work under pressure; excellent organizational, analytical and communication skills;
8. Competence in the use of the Bank standard software applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
The African Development Bank Group has retained Russell Reynolds Associates to assist with this appointment. To apply, please send a full Curriculum Vitae (CV) together with a supporting statement, briefly highlighting your experience and skills against the requirements of the role, to firstname.lastname@example.org including job role and the Vacancy Number ADB/16/035 in the subject title