ECOWAS Liaison Officer: National Centre for the coordination of the response Mechanism
- Department: Political Affairs, peace and Security
- Directorate: Early Warning
- Grade: P4
- Annual Salary: USD 44,328 – USD 51,637
- Supervisor: Principal Programme Officer, Systems Manager
- Reference: ECW/PAPS/NEWRM-P (7)
- Duration: Permanent
- Duty Station: Liberia/ Guinea Bissau/ Mali/ Cote d’Ivoire/ Burkina Faso
In the pilot phase of the project related to establishment of National Early Warning and Response Mechanisms and the setting up of National Centres in Member States, ECOWAS Liaison Officers will be recruited for Liberia, Guinea Bissau, Mali, Cote d’Ivoire and Burkina Faso. Consequently, only citizens from the above listed Member states can apply.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Under the duty supervision of the EW System Management and Planning Officer, the Liaison Officer is lodged in the office of the ECOWAS Permanent Representative in the Country and will serve as a physical link between the National Centre and ECOWARN at Headquarters, Abuja.
He will be responsible for:
- Liaise with Headquarters on EW matters,
- Transmit early warning reports generated by ECOWARN to the National Centre for the activation of Response Mechanism,
- Participation in the daily briefing sessions of the National Centre
- Assisting the Situation Analyst of the Centre in the preparation of documentations and reports for policy decision-making in tandem with the WANEP Liaison officer.
- Assisting the Situation Analyst of the Centre in coordinating and liaising with ECOWAS OMC Analysts in in-depth analysis of security situations in the particular member state
- Perform any other tasks assigned.
Qualification and Experience
A Bachelor’s degree in any of the Social Sciences, Law, Arts or Business Administration or its equivalent plus a minimum of seven (7) years relevant professional experience or an advanced degree in any of the disciplines, in addition to five(5) years progressive relevant professional experience.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office Tools such as Word, Excel, Ms Power Point, Access.
- Excellent team player.
- Good self and time management skills.
- Good negotiation and problem solving skills.
- Pro-active management outlook.
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural environment.
Candidates should not be over 50 years old at the point of recruitment and must be a citizen of one of the ECOWAS member states.
Must be fluent in one of the official languages of the Community: English, French and Portuguese. A working knowledge of another would be an advantage.