- Manages and coordinates the deployment and activities of structural fabrication personnel and equipment within an assigned project or area of work.
- Ensure all work activities are undertaken in compliance with HSEQ manual, Safe Work Practises, Project Specifications, and relevant Codes and Standards.
- Ensure efficient and effective delivery in accordance with Project Schedules.
Key aims and objectives:
- Safety of all personnel.
- Ensure all activities are in compliance with HSEQ manual, Project Specifications and all relevant procedures.
- Ensure fabrication tools & equipment are available for the work scope in accordance with project plans and schedules.
- Ensure all fitters have the appropriate training and competency assessments for the work to be undertaken
Prime Responsibilities and Duties:
- Manage all structural fabrication/construction and associated activities carried out within assigned work area.
- Identify in a timely manner the manpower and equipment requirements for the assigned work.
- Allocate resources and equipment to work areas.
- Allocation of work fronts to Structural Fabrication Supervisors.
- Ensure assigned work is progressing in accordance with project schedules.
- Ensure weld preparations and fit-ups are in compliance with Weld Procedure Specifications, QA/QC requirements and specified dimensional tolerances.
- Monitor productivity, fit-up and dimensional reject rates and schedule performance and be pro-active in investigating the reasons for poor performance and implementing corrective measures.
- Ensure all fabrication equipment is maintained in good working order.
- Ensure all equipment being used is functioning properly and has the required certification in place.
- Ensure fabrication equipment is made available for scheduled inspection and maintenance.
- Liaise with the Welding Superintendent on fitting and welding sequences and distortion control.
- Liaise with the Rigging Superintendent on planned fabrication sequences to ensure lifting and movements can be performed safely and efficiently.
- Liaise with the Scaffold Superintendent on planned fabrication sequences so scaffold requirements can be addressed in a timely manner.
- Liaise with Coatings Superintendent on capabilities and limitations for fabricated items requiring blast and paint.
- Liaise with the Training Manager on fitter training requirements.
- Report non-conformances associated with structural/fitting operations.
- Ensure all personnel within the work area understand and operate to the required quality procedures efficiently and effectively.
- Ensure work areas are maintained in a clean and orderly manner.
- Prepare Task Risk Assessments as required.
- Participate in Toolbox Talks.
- Identify, stop and immediately correct unsafe acts or conditions.
- Liaise with other craft superintendents within assigned project.
- Work with Construction Managers and Superintendents on other projects to ensure the most efficient use of equipment across the facility.
- Give clear and concise instructions to team members and follow up to ensure safe and timely execution.
- Ensure good discipline is maintained.
- Hold members of the fabrication team accountable for work performance as per their roles and responsibilities
- Demonstrate good planning and organisation in day to day activities.
- Contribute to the Continuous Improvement Process within the fabrication function.
- Set professional standards of behavior.
- Contribute to overall construction plans by considering efficient and effective methods of executing the work.
- Attend meetings as required, on time and prepared.
- Share the workload of other superintendents during leave rotations.
- Mentor, train and assess Nigerian national personnel under his/her control.
- Listen to and evaluate any employee concerns.
- Any other duties as from time to time deemed necessary, which are not necessarily part of your usual job description.
Key internal interfaces:
- Shop Managers, Construction Managers
- Welding, Rigging, Scaffolding, Coating Superintendents.
- QA/QC personnel & HSE personnel.
- Training Department.
- Warehouse/Stores Controller & Supply Chain.
- Maintenance personnel
- Client’s representatives as required
- Minimum of 10-15 years of experience of fabrication/construction in the oil and gas construction (or other relevant) industry. At least 5-7 years at superintendent/supervisory level.
- Time-served apprenticeship as a fitter/plater/fabricator in a fabrication environment with minimum qualification of City & Guilds or Diploma.
- Conversant with all types of fabrication tools and equipment.
- Ability to demonstrate a complete understanding and show commitment to the importance of HSE and Quality in the day to day activities in a fabrication facility.
- Ability to lead and manage a team and to mentor and train others.