- Manage all activities within the various Fabrication Departments to ensure compliance with applicable safety, quality and regulatory requirements.
- Work in conjunction with Project Management Teams and assist in the construction effort in applying the most cost effective build sequences and fabrication plans and enable the efficient and timely execution of those plans in accordance with Company/Client procedures, specifications and operating standards.
- Assist in formulating, managing and controlling the department budget.
- Deputy for GM Fabrication.
Key aims and objectives:
- Safety of all personnel.
- Provide support and leadership to the fabrication team.
- Ensure all fabrication work areas are being managed and operated in compliance with HSEQ manual, Project Specifications and all relevant policies and procedures.
- Ensure personnel and fabrication equipment are available in accordance with project plans and schedules.
- Ensure all fabrication work areas are being managed in an efficient and cost effective manner.
- Manage operating cost and implement effective cost reduction measures.
Prime Responsibilities and Duties:
- Forecast overall fabrication manpower requirements and ensure availability in coordination with HR and Training departments.
- Identify tools and equipment requirements across all projects and ensure availability from existing assets or through timely issue of purchase requisitions.
- Ensure all fabrication/construction departments have the required numbers and skills of labour necessary to meet project schedules.
- Allocation of labour, tools and equipment to Erection & Assembly areas in coordination with Construction Managers.
- Ensure effective detailed shop planning, work prioritisation and progress reporting is in place.
- Communicate upwards on issues that will seriously affect safety, quality, schedule, client relationship or company reputation.
- Monitor productivity, repair rates, schedules, work plans and other Key Performance Indicators and be pro-active in investigating the reasons for poor performance and implementing corrective measures.
- Ensure all fabrication equipment is being operated properly, by competent personnel and maintained in good working order.
- Ensure plant and equipment is being made available for scheduled inspection and maintenance.
- Investigate and follow up on non-conformances associated with fabrication operations.
- Ensure work areas are being maintained in a clean and orderly manner.
- Work with Shop Managers and Construction Managers on all projects to ensure the most efficient use of equipment across the facility.
- Give clear and concise direction and instructions to team members and follow up to ensure safe and timely execution.
- Participate in constructability reviews.
- Ensure good discipline is maintained.
- Hold members of the fabrication team accountable for work performance as per their roles and responsibilities.
- Demonstrate good planning and organisation in day to day activities.
- Contribute to the Continuous Improvement Process within the Fabrication Department.
- Set professional standards of behaviour and lead by example.
- Participate in the proposal phase for new work as required.
- Attend/chair meetings as required, on time and prepared.
- Manage leave rotations of key fabrication personnel to ensure business continuity.
- Ensure adequate assessment, training and mentoring of Nigerian national personnel in the fabrication department is being implemented.
- Listen to and evaluate any employee concerns.
- General Managers, Project Director/Managers, Construction Managers
- Rigging, Scaffolding, Coating Managers
- QA/QC Managers & HSE Managers
- HR and Training Department
- Project Controls Manager, Planning Manager
- Supply Chain Manager, Warehouse Manager
- Client’s representatives as required
- External auditors as required
- Minimum of 15-20 years experience of fabrication in the oil and gas construction (or other relevant) industry. At least 10-12 years at management level.
- Minimum qualification of HNC/HND in mechanical/production engineering or similar.
- Ability to demonstrate a complete understanding and show commitment to the importance of HSE and Quality in the activities within a fabrication facility.
- Ability to take responsibility and accountability for department performance and to drive success through good leadership.
- Ability to lead and manage a team and to mentor and train others.