Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT) is an American public multinational corporation headquartered in Redmond, Washington, USA that develops, manufactures, licenses, and supports a wide range of products and services predominantly related to computing through its various product divisions. Established on April 4, 1975 to develop and sell BASIC interpreters for the Altair 8800, Microsoft rose to dominate the home computer operating system market with MS-DOS in the mid-1980s, followed by the Microsoft Windows line of operating systems. Microsoft would also come to dominate the office suite market with Microsoft Office. The company has diversified in recent years into the video game industry with the Xbox and its successor, the Xbox 360 as well as into the consumer electronics and digital services market with Zune, MSN and the Windows Phone OS. In May 2011, Microsoft Corporation acquired Skype Communications for $8.5 billion dollars.
This role will oversee activities throughout the WECA region with a primary focus on Nigeria, (also to include Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Gambia).
The successful candidate will have at least eight years relevant experience in the areas of public policy, and government affairs. A combination of public and private sector work experience would be preferable. Fluency (written and spoken) in English is required.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Develop, orchestrate and implement, in partnership with key stakeholder groups across the Company, outreach strategies and campaigns to positively shape the debate and public policy outcomes on issues important to the ICT industry. Key issues include online and software ecosystem development and growth, privacy, ICT security, intellectual property rights protection, competition law, and trade and market access.
- Work in close partnership with the Company’s public relations team to develop effective internal and external communications strategies.
- Develop and implement strategic initiatives that promote Microsoft’s and the industry’s position on important public policy issues.
- Work closely with the Microsoft West Africa’s leadership team to keep them well informed on public policy issues, debates and trends and provide proactive advice on the impact and relevance of these issues to the Company’s businesses.
- Develop and propose outreach and engagement strategies to the leadership team on critical public policy issues.
- Serve as a leading voice for the company in building and strengthening the Company’s relationship with industry partners, trade associations, advocacy organizations, multilateral organizations, and industry coalitions in order to more effectively shape and advance the industry’s position on important public policy issues across the region.
- Champion Microsoft’s values and the highest ethical standards in the conduct of our business and engagement with government customers and officials.
- Identify new and emerging legal and regulatory issues that may affect Microsoft’s business in the region. Coordinate with internal and external legal and non-legal expert resources, as necessary, to help analyze and address such issues in the implementation of the company’s business strategy.
- Implement an effective measurement and analysis approach for campaigns that will support prioritization of activities and investments.
Microsoft seeks a confident individual, who is able to instill trust and confidence within the region and be a visible and effective advocate for the company’s initiatives.
- Minimum of eight years of relevant professional activity, preferably in Africa.
- Experience in building and managing relationships with key government officials.
- Combination of private and public sector work experience.
- Strong understanding of business issues and thinking, preferably in the IT sector.
- Proven record of cross-group collaboration.
- Minimum of 5 years studies at university in the areas of law, economics, communications, political science, international affairs or equivalent is strongly preferred.
- Education in public administration (preferred).
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- This description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this position. The actual duties and responsibilities may vary based on strategy or assignment.
- Microsoft is an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports workforce diversity.