PO Accountant – The ECOWAS Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (ECREEE) is a specialized agency of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) with a public mandate to promote renewable energy and energy efficiency markets in the ECOWAS region.
The Ouagadougou Declaration, adopted at the ECOWAS conference for Peace and Security on 12th November 2007 in Burkina Faso, articulated the need to establish a regional center to promote Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency. In 2008, the 61st Session of ECOWAS Council of Ministers adopted regulation C/REG.23/11/08 to give the ECOWAS Center for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency a legal basis. The ECREEE Secretariat was subsequently set up in November 2009 in Praia, Cape Verde.
This post is located at the Secretariat of the ECOWAS Centre on Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (ECREEE) based in Praia, Cape Verde. Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the duties of the:
PO accountant (1 Position) Internationally recruited position
- Department: ECREEE Executive Secretariat
- Directorate: ECREEE
- Grade: P3
- Annual Salary: USD 37,430 – USD 45,109
- Supervisor: PPO Head of Admin&Finance
- Reference: ECR-ECREEE-P/003/2016
- Duration: (Two years – renewable)
- Duty Station: Praia, Cape Verde
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare annual financial statements for external auditors;
- Supervise the day-to-day activities of the finance section;
- Implement adequate internal controls to safeguard the assets and liabilities of ECREEE;
- Consolidate and implement the individual budgets of various sections of ECREEE;
- Prepare monthly budget implementation reports for Programme Officers;
- Carry out quarterly revaluation of bank balances based on quarterly rate changes;
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliation of all ECREEE bank accounts;
- Coordinate the end-of-year fixed assets inventory and valuations;
- Supervise the disbursements of the petty cash float;
- Prepare presentations of annual audited accounts for Board Meetings;
- Ensure receipts of all funds to ECREEE;
- Liaise with internal and external auditors for annual audit programs;
- Ensure timely availability of funds are available for ECREEE meetings, workshops and conferences;
- Provide adequate training and supervision of staff in the finance section;
- Other duties assigned by the Executive Director of ECREEE.
- Completion of a First University Degree in Accounting and Finance, ACCA/ CPA qualification or equivalent certificate/training in relevant field.
- Master Degree in Financial Management or other relevant field will be an added advantage (substitutes two years of professional experience).
- At least 5 years post-qualification experience
- Knowledge of relevant Accounting Standards, Exposure Drafts, Discussion Papers and Interpretations as issued by the IASB;
- Knowledge in Renewable Energy and Energy Programs;
- Adequate Knowledge in Financial Reporting and Presentations;
- Ability to prepare budgets and coordinate implementation and execution;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Prior knowledge in Financial Reporting and Presentations;
- Ability to supervise a diverse team of subordinates;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Proficiency in the use of the computer, including internet research, e-mail communication, word processing, using the software currently in use, and the application of other software commonly used in the functional area of ECREEE.
Candidates should not be over 50 years old at the point of recruitment and must be a citizen of one of the ECOWAS member states.