PO IT – The ECOWAS Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (ECREEE) is a specialized agency of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) with a public mandate to promote renewable energy and energy efficiency markets in the ECOWAS region.
The Ouagadougou Declaration, adopted at the ECOWAS conference for Peace and Security on 12th November 2007 in Burkina Faso, articulated the need to establish a regional center to promote Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency. In 2008, the 61st Session of ECOWAS Council of Ministers adopted regulation C/REG.23/11/08 to give the ECOWAS Center for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency a legal basis. The ECREEE Secretariat was subsequently set up in November 2009 in Praia, Cape Verde.
This post is located at the Secretariat of the ECOWAS Centre on Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (ECREEE) based in Praia, Cape Verde. Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the duties of the:
PO IT (1 Position) Internationally recruited position
- Department: ECREEE Executive Secretariat
- Directorate: ECREEE
- Grade: P3
- Annual Salary: USD 37,430 – USD 45,109
- Supervisor: PPO ICT
- Reference: ECW-ECREEE-P/013/2016
- Duration: (Two years – renewable)
- Duty Station: Praia, Cape Verde
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee and ensure full functionality and day-to-day operation of computer networks including hardware/software support, training, and special projects, maintaining security, privacy and integrity of data, information systems, communication lines, and IT equipment;
- Ensure repairs and maintenance of all IT hardware and software applications of ECREEE are conducted on a regular basis to guarantee full and optimal functionality of the systems. Diagnose and implement solutions to resolve hardware failures, network operating system problems and other local area network (LAN) and wide area network (WAN) systems related malfunctions. Implement security, backup and recovery of Databases;
- Monitor and analyze network loads, including traffic and utilization trends, and identify and propose improvement measures. Prepare presentations, charts and graphic illustrations to familiarize and train LAN and WAN users with network operations and effective use;
- Identify, propose and implement, in close collaboration with the PPO-ICT, all measures and solutions required to guarantee the optimal efficiency and maintenance of network infrastructure and servers and anticipate and resolve growth and/or technology related challenges;
- Support the PPO-ICT by identifying, proposing and implementing agreed IT strategies to support the overall goals of ECREEE; Identify and prioritize IT needs for future financial years and provide technical reports as required to ensure proposed solutions are implemented and/or risks understood and accepted;
- Maintain and monitor the ECREEE web site, in collaboration with the PO-Communications and Capacity Building and facilitate implementation of identified improvement measures or modifications; Update, monitor and maintain the ECOWAS Observatory for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (ECOWREX);
- Provide technical, operational and advisory support to ECREEE staff on issues pertaining to IT;
- Oversee the purchase and installation of complex, high value, networking hardware such as switches, routers and bridges, ensuring compliance with ICT and corporate policies. Assist with identification of vendors and service providers of IT equipment and prepare relevant technical specifications for acquisition of equipment and software supplies;
- Other relevant duties assigned by the PPO-ICT
- First Level University Degree (Bachelor’s Degree) in Information Technology, electronic engineering or other relevant field in engineering (or equivalent);
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field will be considered an advantage and will reduce required years of experience by up to 2 years (depending on the field);
- At least 5 years post-qualification experience in the field of IT, preferably in the ECOWAS region;
- Work experience in a regional/international organization in a related capacity will be an advantage;
- Demonstrated experience working with web content management systems (Drupal, WordPress, etc.);
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multinational environment as well as with a diverse group of people and organizations at the national, regional and international levels;
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated capacity to prioritize activities and deliver results in a timely manner, without compromising on the high standards of the institution;
- Ability to work under pressure and handle politically and culturally sensitive issues;
- Knowledge of networking and ability to install and configure routers and switches (Cisco, Juniper, Alcatel-Lucent, Huawei, etc.). A professional qualification in CCNA or CCNP would be an advantage;
- Ability to operate and troubleshoot Windows Server Operating Systems;
- A knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), web Enterprise GIS or other GIS Server/Client software (Geoserver, ArcGIS, Quantum GIS, etc.) will be an added advantage;
- Other professional qualifications such as Microsoft MCITP server administration, MCTS Exchange Server, and VCA-DCV will be considered an advantage.
Candidates should not be over 50 years old at the point of recruitment and must be a citizen of one of the ECOWAS member states.
Must be fluent in one of the official languages of the Commission; English, French and Portuguese. A working knowledge of another would be an advantage.