PO Renewable Energy – The ECOWAS Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (ECREEE) is a specialized agency of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) with a public mandate to promote renewable energy and energy efficiency markets in the ECOWAS region.
The Ouagadougou Declaration, adopted at the ECOWAS conference for Peace and Security on 12th November 2007 in Burkina Faso, articulated the need to establish a regional center to promote Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency. In 2008, the 61st Session of ECOWAS Council of Ministers adopted regulation C/REG.23/11/08 to give the ECOWAS Center for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency a legal basis. The ECREEE Secretariat was subsequently set up in November 2009 in Praia, Cape Verde.
This post is located at the Secretariat of the ECOWAS Centre on Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (ECREEE) based in Praia, Cape Verde. Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the duties of the:
PO renewable energy (1 Position) Internationally recruited position
- Department: ECREEE Executive Secretariat
- Directorate: ECREEE
- Grade: P3
- Annual Salary: USD 37,430 – USD 45,109
- Supervisor: PPO RE
- Reference: ECW-ECREEE-P/018/2016
- Duration: (Two years – renewable)
- Duty Station: Praia, Cape Verde
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, implement, follow-up and monitor RE programs and projects of ECREEE;
- Coordinate with the PO-RE Policies and Regulations, and report to and inform the PPO-RE on the progress and challenges encountered or foreseen from the implementation of RE programs and projects;
- Prepare technical inputs for the ECREEE Business Plan, annual Work Plans and Status Reports considering the strategic orientation in the RE sector of West Africa and internationally;
- Contribute to maintain and strengthen institutional relationships with development partners and other stakeholders;
- Facilitate the identification, and actively support promotion and initiation of RE projects and actions to accelerate the development of RE activities, and prepare project proposals to mobilize support from development partners and other stakeholders;
- Oversee process’ of identification and preparation of feasibility studies, project preparatory activities and business proposals for RE projects aiming to maintain a stable and manageable ECOWAS RE pipeline and harmonize the interventions, identifying and building on synergies with other Units within ECREEE;
- Participate in RE discussions in the region through drafting of project documents and reports, presentations, and publication of topical opinion articles, drawing connections as/when possible to the international climate change mitigation and adaptation debate;
- Actively participate in the development of national and regional technical frameworks that support the proliferation of RE technologies and use;
- Quality assurance oversight for the review of investment and technology-related projects and programs;
- Maintain and contribute to the ECREEE contact network in the West African region and internationally;
- Produce technical reports and other relevant documents and support the preparation of training material, training programmes and training provisions for stakeholders (including the general population, academia, NGOs and CSOs, etc.), in coordination with the Capacity Building and Knowledge Management Units of ECREEE;
- Actively participate in the organization and hosting of roundtables, workshops, lectures, and seminars on ECREEE’s activities to contribute to building a country-specific technical knowledge base of the institution;
- Assist in the implementation and monitoring framework for the development, adoption, and execution of the National RE Action Plans (NREAPs) in the ECOWAS region;
- Assist in the preparation of Terms of Reference (TORs) for relevant consultancies.
- First Level University Degree (Bachelor’s Degree) in Energy, Engineering, or Economics (or equivalent);
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field will be considered an advantage and will reduce required years of experience by up to 2 years (depending on the field)
- At least 5 years post-qualification experience in the field of energy, preferably in the ECOWAS region;
- Experience with donor coordination in the energy sector will be considered an advantage;
- Work experience in a regional/international organization in a related capacity will be an advantage;
- Demonstrated communication, problem-solving, research and analytical writing skills;
- Ability to work under pressure in a multinational environment and handle politically and culturally sensitive issues
- Ability to manage relations with development partners
- Advance knowledge of a wide range of software (word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, e-mail, internet, etc.), and automation equipment.
Candidates should not be over 50 years old at the point of recruitment and must be a citizen of one of the ECOWAS member states.
Must be fluent in one of the official languages of the Commission; English, French and Portuguese. A working knowledge of another would be an advantage.