PO Resource Mobilization Specialist – The ECOWAS Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (ECREEE) is a specialized agency of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) with a public mandate to promote renewable energy and energy efficiency markets in the ECOWAS region.
The Ouagadougou Declaration, adopted at the ECOWAS conference for Peace and Security on 12th November 2007 in Burkina Faso, articulated the need to establish a regional center to promote Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency. In 2008, the 61st Session of ECOWAS Council of Ministers adopted regulation C/REG.23/11/08 to give the ECOWAS Center for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency a legal basis. The ECREEE Secretariat was subsequently set up in November 2009 in Praia, Cape Verde.
This post is located at the Secretariat of the ECOWAS Centre on Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (ECREEE) based in Praia, Cape Verde. Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the duties of the:
PO resource mobilization specialist (1 Position) Internationally recruited position
- Department: ECREEE Executive Secretariat
- Directorate: ECREEE
- Grade: P3
- Annual Salary: USD 37,430 – USD 45,109
- Supervisor: PPO PDFM
- Reference: ECW-ECREEE-P/005/2016
- Duration: (Two years – renewable)
- Duty Station: Praia, Cape Verde
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support planning, implementation, follow up and monitoring of project development and investment promotion programs and projects of ECREEE;
- Report to and inform the PPO-PDFM on the progress and challenges encountered or foreseen from the implementation of programs and projects;
- Support the preparation of technical inputs for the ECREEE Business Plan, annual Work Plans and Status Reports considering the strategic orientation in the investment promotion in the energy sector of West Africa and internationally;
- Contribute to maintain and strengthen institutional relationships with development partners and other stakeholders;
- Identify and actively support promotion and initiation of project development and investment promotion projects and activities to accelerate the development of Energy Access projects, and prepare project proposals to mobilize support from development partners, donor agencies and other stakeholders;
- Support process’ of identification and preparation of feasibility studies, project preparatory activities and business proposals for projects aiming to maintain a stable and manageable ECOWAS Energy Access pipeline and harmonize the interventions, identifying and building on synergies with other Units within ECREEE;
- Support the identification, promotion and initiation of project development and investment promotion projects and activities to accelerate the development of projects and co-ordinate with donor agencies to mobilize resources;
- Coordinate the preparation of project technical reports for development partners;
- Produce technical reports and regularly provide policy briefs on topical issues and bring to the attention of stakeholders;
- Actively participate in project development and investment promotion discussions in the region through preparation of project documents and reports, presentations, and publication of topical opinion articles, drawing connections as/when possible to the international climate change mitigation and adaptation debate;
- Support the promotion of investments in projects within the ECOWAS Energy Access, RE and EE pipeline by organizing workshops, conferences and directly exposing these opportunities to potential investors and financiers;
- Support the development of transaction specific advisory services and mentorship for public and private developers;
- Review and recommend investment promotion projects presented to ECREEE for funding to the ED and provide technical input to projects funded by ECREEE throughout the project cycle;
- Provide necessary technical backstopping to ECOWAS member states, as/when requested in the preparation of documents for national or international procurement processes;
- In coordination with the Capacity Building and Knowledge Management Units of ECREEE, support the development of on-the-job training for Energy Ministries, Utilities and Regulatory Agencies on the design, implementation, oversight and operation of RE, EE and Energy Access projects as relates to investment promotion. Support the preparation of training material, training programmes and awareness raising materials for stakeholders (including the general population, academia, NGOs and CSOs, etc.);
- Maintain and contribute to the ECREEE contact network in the West African region and internationally;
- Assist in the preparation of Terms of Reference (TORs) for relevant consultancies.
- First Level University Degree (Bachelor’s Degree) in Engineering, Economics or Social Sciences, with a strong focus on energy (or equivalent);
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field will be considered an advantage and will reduce required years of experience by up to 2 years (depending on the field);
- At least 5 years of post-qualification experience in the field of energy, preferably in the ECOWAS region, in coordinating and implementing RE, EE and Energy Access programs, including demonstrated experience in mobilizing investments, working with diverse stakeholders, and managing relations with development partners;
- A least 5 years demonstrated experience in investment and fund raising;
- Work experience in a regional/international organization in a related capacity will be an advantage;
- Strong interpersonal, communication and analytical skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multinational environment as well as with a diverse group of people and organizations at the national, regional and international levels;
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated capacity to prioritize activities and deliver results in a timely manner, without compromising on the high standards of the institution;
- Ability to work under pressure and handle politically and culturally sensitive issues;
- Advance knowledge of a wide range of software (word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, e-mail, internet, etc.), and automation equipment.
Candidates should not be over 50 years old at the point of recruitment and must be a citizen of one of the ECOWAS member states.
Must be fluent in one of the official languages of the Commission; English, French and Portuguese. A working knowledge of another would be an advantage.