PPO ICT – The ECOWAS Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (ECREEE) is a specialized agency of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) with a public mandate to promote renewable energy and energy efficiency markets in the ECOWAS region.
The Ouagadougou Declaration, adopted at the ECOWAS conference for Peace and Security on 12th November 2007 in Burkina Faso, articulated the need to establish a regional center to promote Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency. In 2008, the 61st Session of ECOWAS Council of Ministers adopted regulation C/REG.23/11/08 to give the ECOWAS Center for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency a legal basis. The ECREEE Secretariat was subsequently set up in November 2009 in Praia, Cape Verde.
This post is located at the Secretariat of the ECOWAS Centre on Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (ECREEE) based in Praia, Cape Verde. Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the duties of the:
PPO ICT (1 Position) Internationally recruited position
- Department: ECREEE Executive Secretariat
- Directorate: ECREEE
- Grade: P5
- Annual Salary: USD 53,025 – USD 59,950
- Supervisor: Executive Director
- Reference: ECW-ECREEE-P/012/2016
- Duration: (Two years – renewable)
- Duty Station: Praia, Cape Verde
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide support and leadership in development and implementation of all Information, Communications and Technology programmes and projects of ECREEE, including but not limited to capacity building, training, knowledge management, systems and networks, etc.; mobilize support from development partners and other stakeholders;
- Promote teamwork and collaboration by providing the ECREEE ICT Unit staff with clear direction, objectives and guidance to enable them to perform their duties responsibly, effectively and efficiently;
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed in the ICT Unit;
- Contribute to the identification and implementation of innovation and continuous improvement in support of organizational excellence and world-class performance;
- Update the Director, on a regular basis, on the progress and challenges faced by the ICT Unit in the implementation of the programs and projects as well as on technical, policy or strategic issues;
- Plan, follow-up and monitor ECREEE ICT Unit activities, particularly in coordinating the Unit’s work program, providing technical and policy input and quality assurance within the appraisal framework of ECREEE;
- Provide technical and policy inputs to the ECREEE Business Plan, annual Work Plans and Status Reports considering in particular strategic orientations for communications and capacity building in the energy sector of West Africa, as well as internationally;
- Develop, implement and oversee monitoring of the long-term Communication and Public Relation Strategy of ECREEE and coordinate and monitor the implementation of ICT projects and programmes;
- Develop and implement actions to promote the visibility of ECREEE and acknowledgement of its policy positions and activities in regional and international policy processes and debates (e.g. climate change debate, UN Energy, Africa-EU Energy Partnership, GEF, World Bank forums). Support the development and harmonization of regional policies; strategies and quality assurance frameworks within the region;
- Oversee the establishment and provide support for the implementation of effective communication mechanisms within the ECREEE Secretariat, and with the National Focal Institutions (NFIs) and key partners and stakeholders in the ECOWAS region and internationally;
- Facilitate provision of support as regards capacity building and communication strategies to ECREEE Units, as/when required in the preparation of technical reports, work plans of ongoing projects and programmes;
- Oversee the development of training and capacity building materials and programmes and support the implementation of relevant activities for their effective delivery to stakeholders, in particular counterparts of ECREEE, to create awareness and build capacities on RE, EE and Energy Access potentials, strategies and project implementation;
- Undertake advocacy, public information and communication activities in coordination with the other Units of ECREEE. Support the implementation of on-the-job training for Energy Ministries, Electricity Utilities, Regulatory Agencies, Private Sector and Civil Society on the design, implementation, oversight and operation of RE, EE and Energy Access projects. Support the preparation of training material, training programmes and awareness raising materials for stakeholders (including the general population, academia, NGOs and CSOs, etc.). Identify, publish and disseminate best practices and lessons learned to build capacity and knowledge;
- Review projects presented to ECREEE for funding and recommend communications and capacity building actions in their support to the Director;
- Coordinate ongoing programmes on capacity building and knowledge management in the region to avoid duplication, identify and promote complementary activities to accelerate the transfer of technologies and knowledge on RE, EE and Energy Access;
- Organize and implement training activities and events for the operations/projects staff;
- Establish and oversee a monitoring mechanism and evaluation framework for the implementation of the information, communications and capacity building programs and projects to ensure quality and impact.
- First Level University Degree (Bachelor’s Degree) in Communications or International Relations (or equivalent);
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field will be considered an advantage and will reduce required years of experience by up to 2 years (depending on the field);
- At least 10 years post-qualification experience (including two years in a managerial or supervisory position) in the area of Communication, preferably in the ECOWAS region;
- Work experience in a regional/international organization in a related capacity will be an advantage;
- Demonstrated ability to lead communication and information programmes and strategies, with strong experience in capacity building and knowledge management activities, managing and leading successful teams, and working with partners and stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multinational environment as well as with a diverse group of people and organizations at the national, regional and international levels;
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, presentation and analytical skills;
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated capacity to prioritize activities and deliver results in a timely manner, without compromising on the high standards of the institution;
- Strong interpersonal and team working skills, and ability to maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Strong problem-solving, communication, research and analytical writing skills, and ability to work under pressure and handle politically and culturally sensitive issues;
- High degree of political awareness and understanding of the regional and national realities, and ability to anticipate potential sensitivities;
- Ability to manage relations with development partners.
Candidates should not be over 50 years old at the point of recruitment and must be a citizen of one of the ECOWAS member states.
Must be fluent in one of the official languages of the Commission; English, French and Portuguese. A working knowledge of another would be an advantage.