PPO Project Development & Fund Mobilization – The ECOWAS Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (ECREEE) is a specialized agency of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) with a public mandate to promote renewable energy and energy efficiency markets in the ECOWAS region.
The Ouagadougou Declaration, adopted at the ECOWAS conference for Peace and Security on 12th November 2007 in Burkina Faso, articulated the need to establish a regional center to promote Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency. In 2008, the 61st Session of ECOWAS Council of Ministers adopted regulation C/REG.23/11/08 to give the ECOWAS Center for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency a legal basis. The ECREEE Secretariat was subsequently set up in November 2009 in Praia, Cape Verde.
This post is located at the Secretariat of the ECOWAS Centre on Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (ECREEE) based in Praia, Cape Verde. Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the duties of the:
PPO project development and fund mobilization (1 Position) Internationally recruited position
- Department: ECREEE Executive Secretariat
- Directorate: ECREEE
- Grade: P5
- Annual Salary: USD 53,025 – USD 59,950
- Supervisor: Executive Director
- Reference: ECW-ECREEE-P/004/2016
- Duration: (Two years – renewable)
- Duty Station: Praia, Cape Verde
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide support and leadership on all project development and funds mobilization (investment promotion) programmes and projects of ECREEE;
- Promote teamwork and collaboration by providing the ECREEE PDFM Unit staff with clear direction, objectives and guidance to enable them to perform their duties responsibly, effectively and efficiently;
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed in the PDFM Unit;
- Contribute to the identification and implementation of innovation and continuous improvement in support of organizational excellence and world-class performance;
- Update the Director, on a regular basis, on the progress and challenges faced by the PDFM Unit in the implementation of the programs and projects as well as on technical, policy or strategic issues;
- Plan, follow-up and monitor ECREEE PDFM Unit activities, particularly in coordinating the Unit’s work program, providing technical and policy input and quality assurance within the appraisal framework of ECREEE;
- Provide technical and policy inputs to the ECREEE Business Plan, annual Work Plans and Status Reports considering in particular strategic orientations for investment promotion in the energy sector of West Africa, as well as internationally;
- Coordinate, support and monitor the identification and implementation activities of all PDFM projects and programs of ECREEE. Harmonize the interventions, identify and build on synergies with other Units of ECREEE;
- Coordinate, facilitate and oversee the development and harmonization of investment policies, strategies and quality assurance frameworks within the region, including with ongoing activities and programmes;
- Identify complementary activities and opportunities to avoid overlap, where the support from ECREEE would facilitate/accelerate the development of investment promotion activities;
- Maintain/strengthen institutional relationships with and mobilize support from development partners and other stakeholders;
- Identify, champion and initiate investment promotion projects and actions to accelerate the development and replication of energy sector activities and co-ordinate with donor agencies to mobilize additional resources as/when possible;
- Produce technical project reports and regularly provide policy briefs on topical issues to development partners, and bring to the attention of stakeholders;
- Actively participate in project development and investment promotion discussions in the region through compilation of technical and policy briefs, and publication of relevant material (including books, opinion articles etc.);
- Facilitate, coordinate and supervise the identification and preparation of feasibility studies, project preparatory activities and business proposals for projects with the aim to maintain a constant and manageable ECOWAS Energy Access pipeline;
- Promote investments in projects within the ECOWAS Energy Access, RE and EE pipeline by organizing workshops, conferences and directly exposing these opportunities to potential investors and financiers. Coordinate transaction specific advisory services and mentorship for public and private developers;
- Coordinate with the PPO-RE and PPO-EE in the review of business proposals for RE and EE projects aiming to maintain a constant and manageable ECOWAS project pipeline;
- Review and recommend project development and investment promotion projects presented to ECREEE for funding to the Director, and provide technical and policy input to projects funded by ECREEE throughout the project cycle;
- Oversee provision of technical backstopping to ECOWAS member states in the preparation of documents required to complete procurement processes;
- Undertake advocacy, public information and communication activities in coordination with the Capacity Building and Knowledge Management Units of ECREEE. Implement on-the-job training for Energy Ministries, Utilities and Regulatory Agencies on the design, implementation, oversight and operation of RE, EE and Energy Access projects. Support the preparation of training material, training programmes and awareness raising materials for stakeholders (including the general population, academia, NGOs and CSOs, etc.);
- Establish and oversee a monitoring mechanism and evaluation framework for the implementation of the investment promotion programs and projects to ensure quality and impact.
- First Level University Degree (Bachelor’s Degree) in Economics, Social Sciences or Engineering with a strong focus on energy (or equivalent);
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field will be considered an advantage and will reduce required years of experience by up to 2 years (depending on the field);
- At least 10 years of post-qualification experience (including two years in a managerial or supervisory position) in the field of energy, preferably in the ECOWAS region, including demonstrated experience in coordinating and implementing RE, EE and Energy Access programs, managing and leading successful teams, working with diverse stakeholders, and managing relations with development partners;
- A least 7 years demonstrated experience in developing and mobilizing investments for RE, EE and Energy Access projects;
- Work experience in a regional/international organization in a related capacity will be an advantage;
- Strong interpersonal, communication and analytical skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multinational environment as well as with a diverse group of people and organizations at the national, regional and international levels;
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated capacity to prioritize activities and deliver results in a timely manner, without compromising on the high standards of the institution;
- Ability to work under pressure and handle politically and culturally sensitive issues;
- Advance knowledge of a wide range of software (word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, e-mail, internet, etc.), and automation equipment.
Candidates should not be over 50 years old at the point of recruitment and must be a citizen of one of the ECOWAS member states.
Must be fluent in one of the official languages of the Commission; English, French and Portuguese. A working knowledge of another would be an advantage.