Principal Programme Officer Communication (one position) at ECOWAS. See details below.
- Department: Political Affairs, Peace and Security
- Directorate: Early Warning
- Grade: P5
- Annual Salary: USD 52,273 – USD 59,100
- Supervisor: Director, Early Warning
- Reference: ECW/PAPS/NEWRM-P (1)
- Duration: Permanent
- Duty Station: Abuja, Nigeria
The Principal Programme Officer Communication reports to the Director, Early Warning. He/she will have among other responsibilities to:
- Plan and undertake communications duties to contribute to the Department’s media projects and tasks through the electronic and print media.
- Assume project responsibility for public relations tasks, including promotional launches, displays and other special events.
- Act as a consultant to internal clients to analyze specific public communication needs, and plan and implement creative strategies as required.
- Implement communications, advertising and publishing strategies, which promote the key policies and programs of the Directorate.
- Plan, write, edit and publish a variety of communications and other documents, which present a positive image of the Directorate to EWD partners
- Provide advice to internal clients by analyzing their specific communication needs, and assisting in the planning, development and implementation of creative strategies as required.
- Undertake specific communications tasks, including speech writing, media release preparation and distribution, promotional launches, displays and other special events.
- Consult with departmental clients and external agencies to plan creative strategies for special events, launches, displays and other promotions, which highlight the achievements of the department.
- Assist in the implementation of promotional launches, special events and displays.
- Assist in the review and development of systems and procedures that improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the team and provide a quality service to clients.
Qualification and Experience
A minimum of Bachelor degree in any or combination of the following, Communication, Political Science, Journalism, Law, Arts, Business Administration or its equivalent plus a minimum of 10 years of professional experience (including 2 years supervisory experience in a permanent or acting capacity) of which three must be in international, regional or sub regional organization. The possession of a Master degree can reduce the number of years of experience to eight (8).
The ideal applicant will be someone who has the following key attributes:
- Supports strategic direction: Demonstrated wide experience and ability in a broad range of journalistic and communications services including proven integrity with respect to client confidentiality and departmental interests.
- Achieves results: Demonstrated strong skills in setting realistic goals, establishing work priorities, meeting deadlines and contributing effectively as a member of a team.
- Supports productive working relationships: Demonstrated strong interpersonal, communication, consultation and negotiation skills, including the ability to establish working relationships and liaise with senior government executives, officers at all levels, the media and the public.
- Displays personal drive and integrity: Demonstrated ability to undertake high level research, gather information in order to critically analyze situations and statistical information, and prepare written material which is accurate, succinct and relevant.
- Communicates with influence: High level skills and experience in researching and preparing speeches, speech notes, forewords, media releases, articles and in providing other communication services.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office Tools such as Word Excel, MS Power Point, Access.
- Excellent team player.
- Good self and time management skills.
- Pro-active management outlook.
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural environment.
Candidates should not be over 50 years old at the point of recruitment and must be a citizen of one of the ECOWAS member states.
Must be fluent in one of the official languages of the Community: English, French and Portuguese. A working knowledge of another would be an advantage.