The primary role of the Programming and Budget Department (COPB) is to assist the development of the Work Programme and associated financial framework, resource allocation, budget management and execution, and coordinating corporate performance monitoring.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Director, COPB and reporting to the Division Managers for the Programming (COPB.1) and the Budget Execution Coordination (COPB.2), respectively, the Senior Budget Officer (PL5) and Budget Officer (PL6) will assist in enhancing and administering budget systems and tools, budgeting, budget management and coordinating performance monitoring and reporting activities. His/her duties include:
1. Enhancing budget systems/tools, such as the Strategic Resource Allocation Software (SRAS), SAP Funds Management, SAP-CO; SAP-BW and the Cost Account System (CAS);
2. Undertaking day to day budget system administration, entailing: maintenance of master data, trouble shooting of system errors and timely resolution of any unusual items;
3. Executing budgetary control functions, through enforcement of the budget policies, availability controls, analysis of the budget and its reconciliation;
4. Enhancing budget data quality and integrity through implementing controls that minimize chances of error/mispostings;
5. Contributing to the elaboration of 3 year Rolling Plan and Budget Documents, encompassing: (i) reviewing of the submitted work program; (ii) proposing sustainable budget baselines; (iii) costing the work programme and (iv) informing the budget arbitration process, among others;
6. Supporting clients in undertaking budget related transactions, including budget re-allocations (transfers), in consonance with sound business case, Bank policy and Financial Regulations;
7. Assisting in developing and implementing the Performance Monitoring and Reporting activities (including KPIs), both for internal and external circulation;
8. Providing analyses on Performance Monitoring Data for periodic assessment of resource utilization status (based on Administrative and Capital Budgets and Performance Reports) and proposing re-prioritization scenarios to ensure that resources are properly assigned based on Performance Information;
9. Preparing institutional performance reports and proposing corrective measures for variances and discrepancies;
10. Delivering training and elaboration of training materials as needed, on Planning, Budgeting, Budget System Utilization and Performance Monitoring matters;
11. Proposing and/or conducting independent research and analyses on Performance and budget issues, identifying problems, proposing solutions and making recommendations to Management;
12. Ensuring the enhancement of the Business Intelligence tool (KPI Dashboard) and the fine-tuning and improvement of simplified Performance Monitoring tools; and
13. Providing assistance in the Change Management activities related to implementing a culture of efficiency and effectiveness in a Development Institution.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Minimum of a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in IT, economics, finance, accounting or related fields.
- At least five (5) years of relevant experience and exposure to international, multicultural contexts.
- Capacity for conceptual and strategic analysis and good command of budgetary, operational management and performance monitoring matters.
- Capacity to diagnose and solve multiple, concurrent problems as well as conduct independent research and analyses.
- Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous and shifting demands/ priorities under tight deadlines.
- High level skills in communication as well as ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients and deliver results that meet the needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the Bank.
- Competence in the use of ERP Systems (preferably SAP, with emphasis on SAP-CO and Funds Management), Business Intelligence (BI) tools (preferably Business Information Warehouse (BIW) and Dashboards), software development tools (MS DotNet, visual basic) and standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint), and a good knowledge of operational and project management systems.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English and/or French, with a good working knowledge of the other language.