Senior Statistician (Agriculture), ESTA.2 – The primary role of the Statistics Department (ESTA) within the Vice presidency of the Chief Economist is to develop and manage statistical systems needed to support the operational work of the Bank Group and its development research activities; to contribute to the development of statistical systems in Regional Member Countries (RMCs) and the harmonization of statistical reporting among multilateral, bilateral and regional development agencies; prepare the Bank Group’s official statistical publications; and provide statistics and statistical analysis for the Bank Group’s Annual Report, the African Development Report and other important Bank publications.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Division Manager, ESTA.2, the Senior Statistician will assist put in place a system that will assist Regional Member Countries to improve the compilation and dissemination of various statistical outputs within the area of agriculture statistics. Her/his duties include:
- Undertake statistical capacity building work in RMCs to generating quality, reliable and timely agriculture and food security statistics, green growth statistics.
- Provide support to relevant Bank’s operations departments in designing monitoring and evaluation systems for environment and climate change, and transitioning to green growth; Support Bank’s operations to generate measurable green growth indicators as well as ensuring that they inform the Bank’s five point agenda (High 5): Feed Africa, Industrialize Africa, Integrate Africa, Power Africa and Improve Quality of Life in Africa.
- Assist RMCs in setting up monitoring and evaluation systems for measuring and monitoring critical Agricultural indicators for measuring countries’ level of agricultural development and food security.
- Assist countries to develop sustainable systems to generate data required to inform the relevant sustainable development goals (SDGs).
- Ensure effective liaison and collaboration with other Task Managers of various Tasks in ESTA
- Provide statistical support as necessary to the regional member countries in the context of implementing the results measurement agenda, Bank’s Ten Year Strategy (TYS) and the priority agenda on High 5s i.e. inclusion of statistical issues in the Bank’s operations.
- Assist countries prepare a country driven work program in line with the Statistical Capacity Building (SCB) programme as described in the National Strategies for the Development of Statistics (NSDS) or other national statistical strategy.
- Where necessary facilitate support to the institutional reform and change process within the national statistical system as guided by the statistical legislation or public sector reform programme. The reform may include amendment of the statistical legislation and restructuring of the national statistical office.
- Support capacity development through facilitation or sourcing and coordination of technical assistance in liaison with various Task Managers.
- Contribute to statistical and agriculture research activities, using existing databases on RMC economic and social indicators related to labour statistics.
- Provide technical support for the implementation of agricultural surveys in RMCs.
- In collaboration with the Economic and Social Statistics Division (ESTA.1), ensure data on agriculture and food security, environment and climate systems are useable and consistent.
- Promote the use of the Bank Data Portal, including the use of the Highway Information System within the Bank, in RMCs and among development partners.
- Prepare knowledge products to support Bank’s TYS and the High 5s agenda, particularly agriculture and food security, environment and climate change statistics, renewable energy potential, water resources, etc.
- Contribute to the publication of the Bank’s statistical working series on statistical concepts, methods and best practices as well as a quarterly publication on selected economic and agriculture trends.
- Undertake field mission or other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in statistics, economics or a related field with a strong background in quantitative methods. A postgraduate qualification in agriculture statistics/economics is an added advantage.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant working experience in a research or development institution.
- The candidate must have the ability to contribute to knowledge, with a particular emphasis on statistics as demonstrated by recent publications in peer-reviewed journals;
- Competency in database management and in applying statistical methods including but not limited to agriculture economic and econometric modeling, multivariate analysis, survey analysis, and in the use of statistical computer programs;
- Competency in the use of Bank standard software applications (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint), SAP desirable;
- Proficiency in English and/or French. A working knowledge of the other language is an added advantage; and,
- Ability to work in a task team, interdisciplinary environment and exercise initiatives.